Sales is all about people
4th April 2019
Lots of conversations I have about selling seem to centre around the businesses product or service which is important. However, selling to me is about people, especially if you sell B2B, and sometimes we forget that.
It is about finding out if you can help someone and then thinking about what you can do to help them.
A lot of people looking for help with telesales training, business sales training and face to face selling skills approach me and ask to improve their closing skills as they believe that this will improve their sales numbers. This is fine but I suggest they look at the beginning of their sales conversation with their prospective customers.
A lot of sales conversations don’t get off the ground because the people involved in the potential sale just didn’t hit it off. That is both the buyer (prospect) and the seller (salesperson).
The fact is that today most buyers are well educated about the product and service they are looking to buy. They don’t need a pitch they didn’t ask for and they hate being sold to with obvious sales tactics.
This is good to know for the salesperson so they can concentrate on the person in front of them or the person they are talking with on the phone. They can focus on how they can help them which at the same time can build trust and confidence with their potential customer.
There are several ways to improve your chances of moving your sales conversation along to a happy conclusion for you and your customer. Here are a few:
- Keep informed about your industry and the company you are meeting. If you understand the persons industry and their business, it will increase their confidence in you that you really do know your stuff and may be able to help them.
- Make sure the conversation is about them and not you. When you are talking with them it should be about further understanding how you may be able to help them.
- To help this conversation move along learn about and improve your questioning skills and don’t forget to improve on your listening skills
- The old saying is that people buy from people they like. So be likeable and focus on building the relationship.
- Get onto some sales training courses that will help you improve your people skills whether it is telesales training, business sales training, b2b sales training or face to face selling skills.
With these few tips your sales engagements will become conversations that will help your potential customer move smoothly through their journey to buy off you.
There are three other ways to help you improve your sales conversations:
If you want help on any sales issues or would just like a sales confidence boost please email me at email@example.com and I will get back to you.